While social media is the best thing since sliced bread for small business promotion, one of the rules of social media etiquette is “Don’t advertise,” which leaves business owners scratching their heads trying to figure out how to promote and integrate their products/services. Social media with your other internet marketing efforts.
Social networks are meant for communicating and interacting with the market, increasing brand awareness and sharing information, NOT for sales pitches.
I’ve put together some tips on how social media marketing and newsletter/email marketing go together like peanut butter and jam.
1. Add links to your online profiles in emails/newsletters so people can connect with you on your networks.
2. Put together a special outreach email series and promote it with a link on your email login page through tweets and social network status updates.
3. Add the HTML registration code for your newsletters to your Facebook profile, Facebook business page and other websites.
4. Search your social media sites to find the hottest topics and include them in your newsletters.
5. Research your social networks to find out which products or services you offer are in demand, so you can “strive while the iron is hot” by sending relevant and timely offers.
6. Make your email official by adding a SWYN (Share with Your Network) link (next to the Send to a Friend link) so people can share your email with their social network groups and connections. Unfortunately, only a few email marketing and autoresponder services currently offer SWYN links, but more services are adding this feature every day.
Using these two marketing channels to complement each other will help you gain an edge in your online marketing. Now just cut off the shells and add a glass of chocolate milk.