Here are the top ten tips to ensure you get the best possible return on your investment in opt-in email marketing.
1. Only send emails to people who have requested them.
2. Only include content related to the type of content the person requested.
3. Stick to your posting frequency. Choose a schedule, whether it’s weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly, and as often as you can stick to it.
4. In most cases, it is best to send business emails from Tuesday to Thursday. We have found that the best broadcast times of the day are right after the start of the day around 9:30 am or right after lunch around 1:30 pm. It’s best to avoid sending business-to-business emails after 4pm or on weekends.
5. In most cases, it is best to send business emails to consumers either between 5pm and 8pm Tuesday through Thursday, or between Friday evening and Sunday afternoon.
6. You can improve deliverability by adding a message at the top of your emails that says something like: “To make sure you receive our email, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book.”
7. Make the Sender name for your messages either the name of your company or the name of a person in your company. Once you’ve chosen a Sender name, keep it consistent. In a fraction of a second, subscribers open your email, the most important factor in their decision is whether the Sender name is familiar to them.
8. Remember to include both the plain text and the HTML version of your newsletter. IntelliContact Pro automatically recognizes which subscribers can see the HTML message and which can only see the text message. If you don’t add just a text message, about 5% of recipients will see a message with nothing in it.
9. Do not use all capital letters or multiple exclamation points in the subject line or body of text. Doing this will trigger the spam filters. See our Best Practices Whitepaper for more words to avoid.
10. Build your list whenever you have the chance. If you have a retail outlet, add the outlet registration form. At conferences or events, ask everyone you talk to if you can add them to your list after exchanging business cards. Finally, add a newsletter subscription form to every page of your website. You can use IntelliContact Pro’s signup form generator to automatically generate the code you need.
We hope these tips were helpful!